Mojo? You know that certain kind of magical appeal, called mojo? Not the mojo popularized by fictional super spy Austin Powers. Eco mojo. Do you have it?
In his latest book, Marshall Goldsmith defines mojo as the moment when we do something that’s purposeful, powerful, and positive—and the whole world recognizes it. “When I talk about mojo, I’m talking about simultaneously finding happiness and meaning at work and at home,” explains Goldsmith. Translated into the language of sustainability, that means meaningful work, engaged employees, and demonstrating values of eco awareness at home and at work.
While one approach to creating meaningful work is top -down within the organization, another path is a green living program accentuating personal leadership. It’s a matter of aligning your values, green living concepts and eco friendly actions of your personal lifestyle and matching those up in such a way that you are demonstrating those values seamlessly at work. Noted, many businesses and organizations lack direction regarding corporate social responsibility or sustainable business strategies. That’s where personal leadership kicks in:
• Consider your approach to your current position. No one knows your job better than you. You have a better chance of discovering ways to improve processes and integrate sustainability concepts than anyone. Perform your job from the perspective of how can I do my job in a more eco friendly manner.
• Take eco action in your daily activities: recycle, commit to paperless, share with others what you are doing and why you are doing it and get them involved.
• Engage management by incorporating sustainability concepts in your personal development plan.
• Take on new sustainability roles and projects in the organization: start a recycling program, lead a paper free initiative, host a lunch and learn providing local and organic foods
• Become the “go-to” person for all things green
• Expand your corporate green network: engage in internal business activities, networking events, internal and external training, professional organizations, and business communities. An easy option is to engage in your company’s community outreach programs
Eco mojo is seamlessly integrating our green living values in all areas of our lives in such a way that it transforms our environment and gives back in a meaningful way. It is the personal fulfillment and reward of expanding eco awareness through deliberate eco action that generates shifts in business and personal lives.