It happens to all of us. One day we are sailing along feeling good, thinking we are on top of the world and all of a sudden- Whoops… something, someone trips us and we fall. Then we don’t feel so clever and start to question everything. What if I am not that good? You know how it goes. I remember years ago having to give a speech at a course I was taking, this was the last night – my big chance to shine. I got up to deliver my speech and was doing really well, when I allowed a thought inside my head – and I FROZE – not kidding, one of those moments where a minute feels like a decade – you could hear a pin drop – I looked around the room – seeing the faces that wanted me to succeed – all I could hear was silence – well I recovered enough to finish my speech, but my self confidence took a huge hit. Oh well! So, how do you recover? Get your confidence back after a setback? Here are 10 tips to get you back on that horse – whatever your horse is…
- Write down ten things (or more) that you did lately that you did really well. Even if it is something small, like paying your bills on time.
- Read something inspiring – even if it’s only a quote. Broke? Go on line and Google ‘self help’ – your very own library will appear before your eyes.
- Play the gratitude game – here’s how it works… As you are driving along – someone cuts you off – say this. “Thank you for cutting me off, you must be in a big hurry.” Be grateful for silly things, like finding a penny, or ripping your shirt. You’ll soon find yourself laughing, and your mood will lift.
- Call a Friend! – now, don’t call to complain…. call just to ask them how they are – keep the conversation upbeat – laugh!
- Do one tiny thing. Some days we feel that we can’t focus on any one thing – even if all you do is get the dishes done – great ! You did something!
- The ‘to-do’ list – there is nothing more powerful than having a list and putting a BIG tick mark on it when you have finished a task.
- Look in the mirror and give yourself a GOOD talking to. I mean it, say to yourself all of the great stuff you do, smile and laugh!
- Avoid toxic people – nothing will bring you down more than hanging around people who complain a lot, or who are negative. Get out of the house and network with some positive peeps!
- Walk the Dog! – Ok, if you don’t have a dog – walk yourself!
- STOP the self talk! Shush the voice – you know it when you hear it! Say only positive things about yourself – you are perfect the way you are – enjoy you….
Oh – one last thing, the reason I froze giving that speech – I allowed myself to think that I was not worthy of success and whoops! That’s how quickly that type of thinking can derail you. Believe in yourself – you CAN do it!