The weather is getting colder and the snow is getting higher here in the states (actually it was -8 degrees F this morning as my little girl was heading off to school) And even though I love looking at the glistening snow against the beautiful blue sky, I long for the warmth of the tropical weather and the healthy glow that I get from the sunny beaches. I think it is fair to assume that most of us are experiencing the winter “blues”.
Kale is my go-to food when I’m looking for this feeling. Not only does it contain a ton of nutrients, it also boosts your immune system, which is vitally important this time of year.
Kale is one of the biggest, baddest superfoods you can get your hands on, but it also can be somewhat intimidating if you don’t know how to make it delicious.
So I have a recipe that is super easy, mouth-watering delicious, and will not only give you the flavor of the tropics but will have your skin glowing in delight.
Tropical Mango Kale Salad
1 bunch of kale, stalks removed, leaves thinly sliced
1 squeezed lemon
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 mango diced handful of chopped pecans, walnuts or almonds
- In large serving bowl, add the kale, lemon 1/2 squeezed lemon, a drizzle of oil and a little sea salt.
- Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt (2 to 3 minutes). Set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and freshly ground black pepper.
- Slowly add in the 1/4 cup of olive oil while whisking until a dressing forms. Add more flavor if you wish to meet your personal taste.
- Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and nuts. Toss and serve.
Now you can experience a tasty tropical meal without leaving your home; you can bring the tropics to you!