You can also get an audio version of this blogpost here: – Listen!
Being Authentic means having a greater purpose than making money. This is what drove Dave Hieatt, founder of Howies clothing, to give up a career in advertising and set up in business doing something he was passionate about. His desire? To make people think about the world we live in. Profits come second – or should that be third, after mountain-biking
I purchased a tee shirt from Howies recently and found a tag which tells customers about their business – I like the statement below which convinced me to buy more of their products in future – I really empathise with these values :-
Stuff We Believe In…
- We believe in making stuff that lasts.
- We believe in good old fashioned service.
- We believe in sport. We believe in play. We believe in having fun.
- We believe the environment needs more friends.
- We believe in making people think.
- We believe the glass is always half-full.
- We believe higher quality means lower impact.
- And we believe tea should always be made in a pot.
It seems to be working – the company grows from strength to strength – 90% of their business is done via their website and catalogue and with minimal advertising – customers keep coming back, and referring family and friends – so Howies must be doing something right.
What do you believe in? Are you doing something that you are truly passionate about? Is the company you work for as Authentic as Howies? If not then why not? You can always talk to me about how myself and my colleagues from Authenticis can help transform your work into something truly motivational.
James Rock – Cultivar Consulting
For more about Howies visit their website : Howies