Metaphysics has been used since the dawn of time, it is fundamentally a form of philosophy that investigates certain principles of reality. It stands outside of traditional science and it is concerned with investigating the ultimate nature of humankind, all life forms and Mother Earth. It is becoming widely recognizable throughout the spiritual community as a science that will identify and give meaning to the many unexplained aspects of life and reality as we know it.
Throughout the decades, the word ‘Meta’ has altered significantly, interpreted into English it now refers to ‘beyond, above, transcending’. This has prompted metaphysics to become the study of all that transcends physics. We often tend to name all metaphysical things as supra-human.
More recently, the term “metaphysics” has also been employed by non-philosophers to refer to “subjects that are beyond the physical world. ” A metaphysical book-store”, for instance, is not one that sells books on ontology, but rather one that sells esoteric books on spirits, faith healing, crystal power, occultism, and other such topics which the philosophic pursuit of metaphysics generally does not include.
Here are examples of how Metaphysics questions life:
- What is the actual nature of reality?
- How is the world in existence and how is it created, plus from what source?
- Do we live within dimensions of time and does our world truly exist outside of all minds or are we trapped in illusion?
- If things exist, what is their objective nature, why are we here?
Nobody can be given undeniable proof, scientists and others may only pass on their knowledge, experiences and conclusions, as with anything in life you need to have an open mind, be ready to accept new ideas and ultimately think for yourself! The answer is always there, as long as you trust in your own truth and do not become afraid to question the thoughts of others.
Investigating man’s existence is our fundamental nature, how many times has your mind wandered and have you sought the reason behind ‘why am I here’ or ‘what is my purpose’ and ‘am I dreaming or is this reality?’ It is plausible that many people will question the same things over time, being sceptical will keep you on your toes, as it is not wise to believe everything that you hear. Always arm yourself with questions and seek your own truth.
Metaphysics can actually be broken up into three terms:
- One of these central branches is Ontology, the investigation into what types of things there are in the world and what relations these things bear to one another. The Metaphysician will attempt to analyse and interpret the thoughts of people’s understanding and perceptions of the world, including all alien existence, property, space, time, causality, and possibility.
- The second branch is Natural Theology. This is the study of God and it involves many topics including among others the nature of religion within the world as we know it, the actual existence of the divine, questions about Creation, and the numerous religious or spiritual issues that concern humankind in general.
- The third branch is Universal Science, this contemplates the ‘first spark, the beginning of all things, the vitality of life’, which ultimately are the foundation for all other questions to radiate from. It may be deemed as the Law of non-contradiction.
Maybe you can now regulate your life, actions and judgements by the light of philosophy and discover your own reasons? I wish you well on your journey!