Food Coloring is very toxic, made up of artificial dyes. The different colored dyes have been connected to health issues. For example, Yellow No. 5 has caused allergic reactions in people. Red and Yellow dye have resulted in hyperactivity in children. Green No. 3, Red No. 40 and Yellow No. 6 have been liked to cancer in rats and mice.
Knowing this information I went on search to figure out how to make all natural food coloring from products found in my kitchen. I can’t wait to share this with you! Please add the coloring in Playdough recipes where it calls for water or any other recipes that call for the food to change color, such as frostings.
- Chop up one medium sized beetroot and put in pan with a cup of water. Bring to the boil then gently simmer on stove for 10 minutes. Once cooled pour through sieve then follow playdough recipe.
- Put a big handful of raspberries and a cup of water in a pan. Bring to the boil then gently simmer on stove for 20 minutes (until liquid has reduced to about half). Once cooled pour through sieve then follow playdough recipe below
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of turmeric into finished dough. Add more if you would like the dough to be more yellow.
- Chop about 1 cup of red cabbage and 2 cup of water and bring to boil. Gently simmer for 20 mintues. Once cooled pour through a sieve then follow the playdough recipe.
- Put a handful of blueberries and a cup of water in a pan. Bring to the boil then gently simmer on stove for 20 minutes. Once cooled pour through sieve then follow playdough recipe.
- Chop spinach and put in a pan with water. Bring to a boil. Turn to simmer for 20 minutes. Sieve.
As a TRUE Earth Mama, I don’t want my children playing with commercially made playdough. So, I went on a mission to find the best Playdough recipe and then to figure out how to make natural food coloring. I am so excited to share it with you!
Instead of going out and buying commercial Playdough, try making it at home with your children. It is inexpensive. non-toxic and fun to make! Playing with Playdough is also good for expanding a child’s imagination and developing fine motor skills. This activity can be hours of entertainment. Making the dough, making the food coloring and hours of playtime plus it is a great way to spend quality time with your child while filling them up with innocent Joy!
- 1 cup WHITE FLOUR
- 1 cup HOT WATER or Colored Water
- 2 Tbsp SALT
- 2 Tbsp CREAM OF TARTAR
- 2 Tbsp. COOKING OIL