My whole life teachers would tell me to speak up. I wanted to be loud, to be center stage but my voice was quiet. When I grew up and had children, some teachers would call me to complain and try to fix my shy and quiet son. We worked together on ways to be more outgoing, but the harder we worked, the quieter he became. When my fourth child started school, he was loud and outspoken. It wasn’t long before he became pack leader in class and had the other boys imitating his walk and way of dressing. Soon, I received a phone call from his teacher telling me he was too loud. She told me he had too much self esteem and that I needed to fix him. That was the day I stopped trying to fix anyone.
I wanted to teach this lesson to children through art in the summer flower beds. God makes no mistakes, there is beauty in all of life.
The best way to learn about differences is in your backyard. But even in the Winter you can still enjoy the beauty outdoors. Notice the flowers. Some require hot sun, others shade, yet they all bloom beautifully, even the weeds. here are smells, texture, color to be explored when you look close enough. Wayne Dyer once said that the Sun doesn’t say to the Earth, “you owe me!” If we can release limiting beliefs in ourselves and others, our imaginations soar. Suddenly, there are blue moons, flying frogs and maybe a pink snake.
Helpful tips for creating your own art:
1. Look for cool paper at Yard sales, Estate sales and Garage sales. You would be surprised what kind of crazy paper you will find and cheap!
2. Don’t run with scissors, especially outside where you can fall into a big hole!
3. Find “CRAY-PAS” at the following link:
4. Try different ways of tracing your leaves/flowers, such as a negative. Meaning you lay the leaf down and shade outward from the edges, leaving the leaf as the negative space when you are done.
5. Try spraying hair spray over your chalk drawings to keep them from smudging!
You can help create our show! Just send us your ideas for art projects or something that you would like to see us do!