According to the post, Best States for Energy Efficiency, “if you live in Connecticut, California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York, Texas, North Carolina, New Jersey or Ohio your state is doing something right – a lot right – when it comes to energy efficiency. The ten states deserve kudos, in that order, for policies that encourage energy efficiency, according to a report issued this week by the Center for American Progress and Energy Resource Management Corp.
As is often the case with US energy policy, it is states, not the federal government, leading the way in fostering energy efficiency markets. However, on the flip side, as a personal sustainability program, what are you doing to be an energy efficient superstar? As mentioned in our eco friendly consulting, awareness is the tool used to help discover the personal patterns of behavior that offer low hanging fruit for a sustainable lifestyle.
Are you aware of your habits related to energy? Consider how and when you consume the most energy in your day? How could you be more efficient? What inspiring eco actions could you take? Conscious awareness is key to sparking the eco awareness in a personal sustainability program. Following are eco- tips to get you started on being the energy superstar that you are!
- Replace dead light bulbs with CFLs and watch your energy savings increase.
- Buy a programmable thermostat. By setting your thermostat on a timer you’ll save energy but still enjoy heating and cooling when you need it most.
- Lower the temperature on your water heater by a few degrees to save gas and/or electricity.
- As old appliances fail, purchase new appliances with the Energy Star rating.
- Reduce unnecessary electrical consumption: unplug seldom used devices (think cell phones and iPods). Only 5% of the power drawn by a cell phone charger is used to charge the phone. The other 95% is wasted when it is left plugged into the wall.
- Utilize power strips for commonly used devices. Choices include Watt stopper and Bits limited.
- Close the fireplace damper tight when the heating season is over.
- Wash full loads when using the washing machine or clothes dryer.
- Using less hot water around the house saves energy too. Launder clothes in cold or warm water and take a shower instead of a bath.
- Plant shrubs and trees around the air conditioning condenser to improve its operating efficiency. The shade makes it work less to cool the refrigerant circulating from the inside air handler. In fact, the Arbor Day Foundation offers ten free shade trees when you purchase an annual membership.
- For help on buying energy saving appliances, check out Natural Resource Defense Council
- Explore your options for tax credits for installing energy efficient appliances.
- Learn more ways to save energy at EnergySavers.
Small efforts such as these executed in a personal sustainability program consistently over time, contribute to improved energy efficiency and cost savings for your home- making you and your state energy efficient superstars.