They say a hug is a great gift – one size fits all, and it’s easy to exchange. But as a sustainable living consultant, I wonder, how do you hug the planet?
Perhaps it’s in the expression of our daily choices. Maybe hugging the planet is by living a sustainable lifestyle. Consider that while we are here on this planet, many of us want to make a difference in the way we treat our environment. Many want to make a significant contribution to the role business takes in shaping our economy, society, and environment.
The human values of kindness, generosity and willingness are ways we can all hug our planet:
- Kindness in living green is not only being kind to our planet, but kind to each other. Compassion for where each of us is in relation to the green path.
- Generosity in green living is not only sharing eco awareness and eco resources, but also going above and beyond to inspire, promote, and encourage others on the green path.
- Willingness in green living is demonstrating your values through eco action and generating results
As you are going about your day, approach your world from the place of appreciation for our natural resources and community. Discover ways you can hug your planet! Here are some ideas:
- Pick up litter you see as you are walking on the sidewalk.
- Turn the lights off after someone else has forgotten as they left the room.
- Collect scrap office paper and bring it to the recycling center.
- Bring an organic meal to friends after just having a baby.
- Treat a friend to organic fare at a local sustainable restaurant.
- Teach a child how to ride a bike.
- Invite a friend on a nature walk.
- Share your favorite green blog with friends.
- Volunteer to clean up the break room and use eco friendly cleaning supplies.
- Feed the birds from a park bench or feeder.
- Adopt a pet from your local animal shelter.
- Donate a bag of organic coffee and share with your office.
- Make a contribution to your favorite charity.
- Volunteer your time for a worthwhile organization.
- Notice and compliment the sustainable efforts other are doing.
As Bill Keane said, “A hug is like a boomerang – you get it back right away”.