Whenever you want to improve in a specific area or program, just the process of increasing awareness will yield improvements. The same applies to living a sustainable lifestyle. Most of us recognize that change can be tricky: habits and convenience make it far easier to slip back into the comfortable way of doing things. However, implementing effective sustainable change does not have to be a laboring process. The key is conscious awareness.
Awareness is the tool used to help discover the personal patterns of behavior that offer low hanging fruit for a sustainable lifestyle. For instance, are you aware of your habits related to energy? Consider how and when you consume the most energy in your day? How could you be more efficient? What inspiring eco actions could you take?
Conscious awareness is key to sparking the eco awareness in a personal sustainability program. As noted in our eco friendly training, following are aids to assist in raising awareness:
• Consciously notice what is most inspiring to you about living green and take eco action in those areas.
• Notice your current patterns and invoke curiosity as to which eco actions would be a sustainable substitute.
• Applaud your efforts: small changes add up. In fact, daily habits have the most impact.
• Observe how new changes become the new habit/ norm.
• Momentum brings visibility to previously inaccessible ideas and behaviors.
• Gain speed: There is ease in taking more eco action.
• Inspire by living the example.
Each day we are presented with opportunities to expand our eco awareness and make informed choices. The trick to capitalizing on those opportunities is being aware. Conscious awareness offers us the opportunity to make changes that are inspiring and manageable relative our current life and the process of incorporating sustainability becomes much easier. Being aware of sustainability concepts when shopping, or at work and play, contributes to living a more sustainable lifestyle.