Are you living your life to the fullest at this moment in time? Do you have the life that you have always dreamed of? If so, congratulations! Meditate a few moments each day on the goodness that you have experienced from your great fortune. If your answer is no, it is never too late to start.
Tips to Make It Happen Now:
1) Do not waste another moment. Eek out 45 minutes of time for yourself as soon as possible.
2) Find a quite spot where you will not be disturbed. (The beach, your car, the bathtub, a closet … whatever it takes to get some privacy!) Tools needed: A pad of paper and soothing music. Candlelight also has a nice calming effect.
3) First close your eyes and focus on your breath or the music. Take deep, long breaths in and out until you feel your body relaxing. (No inspiration comes from a stressed brain.)
4) Once your head is clear, think of three words that describe the state of your life in the present moment. (For example: Boring, suffocating, tiresome, pleasant, routine, etc.) Write those three words that sum up the feeling. Be totally honest with yourself.
5) Now don’t get bummed! There is possibility for change. It is totally up to you. Now I want you to write three words that would be the total opposite of any negative words you just wrote. For instance, the opposite of boring could be exciting, suffocating could be expansive.
6) Meditate on those three NEW words. Visualize yourself doing something completely different that would bring out this new state of being. Even if it seems impossible in this very moment, visualize yourself breaking out of your norm. Now write five sentences about you doing this new activity. Write it in the present as if this action is already a reality.
7) Now write three small action steps toward making this new thought a reality. Every day, take three small steps toward your goal. I call these “mini feats.” Before you know it, the small steps will have added up to big changes. The trick is just doing it. The alternative: You could just stick with your initial three words and stay stuck, bored and routine!
Release the perfectionism roadblock
So many of my clients tell me they are striving for perfection and it is killing them. What is the point of perfect any way? They want a perfectly clean house, to say the perfect words and to do perfect work at all times.
Pressure-filled expectations are a sure way to turn any goal into a ball and chain. Many people resist attempting new challenges or setting new goals because they are afraid they will not perform up to their ridiculous expectations.
The result, they give up before they ever begin. Then the feelings of disappointment and failure set in.
I started taking modern dance in my 30’s. The room was full of young women and men that had been dancing since childhood.
My mind was aghast as the dance instructor got in front of the class and proceeded to dance several eloquent steps that we were supposed to immediately mirror. I knew I was in trouble as the class was spinning one way and I was tripping the other way (Picture I Love Lucy and the Rockettes).
Through this experience, I learned to laugh at myself and let go of the notion of doing it perfectly. It was not possible to keep up with these experts, and attempting to was just way too much pressure. Once the light bulb came on that I could do something for the fun of it, I relaxed about the outcome. And wouldn’t you know it, I was able to perform in several dance presentations and I had a blast.
And Most Importantly, Live and Love Passionately
Do it today! Not tomorrow. Not next month. Not next year. The present moment is all we are certain of. Live it passionately, creatively and lovingly. These are the moments we will look back on and cherish. Make sure you are taking the path that is meant to be.
Dreams are gifts of the soul. We need to make every effort to cherish them, to live them. Otherwise they only surface in our sleep. A soulful life is an awakening and actualizing of our deepest dreams within.