As Mothers Day approaches you will notice the abundance of commercials and fliers full of “The Perfect Gift” to buy your mother. Almost as if it would be the end of the world it you don’t buy your mother the latest gadget or shiny bauble. It seems that like every other holiday in our culture, Mothers Day, a celebration of the women who made our existence here a reality, has turned into a commercialized bonanza. With today’s money troubles that everyone’s having, I think it’s more important than ever to go back to the celebration of mothers rather than the gifting of mothers.
In my experience these have worked well if you’re short on cash. These personalized gifts say more than a purchased item ever could because they mean that you put a great deal of thought into the gift. There is something to be said for homemade gifts. You took the time to reflect on your mother’s gift, not just took the easy way out and bought something. Depending on what your mother enjoys and if she lives near or far, you can adapt any of these ideas to create a memorable Mothers Day that your mom will treasure for years to come.
So if you’re looking for something a little different this mother’s day that won’t cost you and will wow your mom, here are 7 ideas. Don’t stop here, though, your imagination is your best ally.
1. Write a letter to her in which you tell her about all the ways that your life is better because she is your mom. Your mom did the best she could with what she knew and
2. Take a special dinner or occasion you had with your mother and recreate it as closely as possible
3. Make a card yourself and write “hand made by (your name) on the back – it doesn’t have to be fancy, that’s the point of handmade gifts, they’re usually rough hewn rather than perfectly store made
4. If you have a special talent like paining or writing or knitting, paint something for your mom like her favorite flower or landscape or paint her, write a poem for her, knit her a shawl or a handbag. There a patterns online that you can get for free.
5. Make your mom a coupon book for chores or other things that she will find helpful and then tell her she can use them.
6. Make her dinner, lunch, or other meal that she enjoys and be sure to use her favorite ingredients. You don’t have to be a stellar cook.
7. Spend the day with your mom with nothing else on your mind except to be mindful with her. That list of stuff that you want to get done will still be there tomorrow but the time with your mom will never come again.
If you’re fortunate to still have your mother around give some thought to how you will honor her love. These are some fun ways that you can celebrate this day with your mother in a way that lets her know she is the most important woman in your life.