Happiness has traditionally being considered an elusive and evanescent thing. To some, even trying to achieve it is an exercise in futility. It has been rightly said that,
“Happiness is a butterfly which when perused, is always beyond a grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly , may alight upon you”.
Happiness is just not aloof to laughing. It is a much deeper thing which buds from inner piece, contentment. It is not overlooking hardships. It is accepting all the troubles with a smile. The best example of pure happiness is a happy child – his happiness knows no bounds, no reasons. He is not trying to show his happiness to anyone. He is just purely happy.
1. This relaxation is the space in which happiness grows. It is not that one is happy because of something. You are simply happy. Happiness is our nature.
2. Don’t choose; Accept life as it is in its totality. You must look at the total: life and death together, love and hate together, happiness/unhappiness together, agony/ecstasy together.
“Two men were imprisoned. It was a full moon night; both were standing near the window of their dark cell. The full moon was there. One was looking at the moon, and it was rainy season; must have been like these days; and there was much water and mud just in front of the window. Dirty, and it was smelling and stinking.
One man continued to look at the moon. The other continued to look at the mud. And he who was looking at the mud was of course feeling very miserable. And the man who was looking at the moon was aflame, aglow, his face was reflecting with the moon. His eyes were full of beauty. He had completely realized the moon. He had completely forgotten that he was imprisoned.”
3. Bliss is happiness uncaused. Simply as you are, you are happy. There is nothing to say about why you are happy. Difference between happiness and bliss; Your happiness is caused. Sometimes a friend has come and you are happy. How long are you going to be happy with the friend? A few moments – and then you will be happy when he leaves. What type of happiness is this? It is caused and the cause disappears.
4. Happiness has nothing to do with your post, with your money, with your power. It has something to do with your inner change, inner transformation.
5. Every action has its intrinsic reward or punishment. So a man of intelligence soon starts finding what are the acts which bring you happiness, joy, blissfulness, and what are the actions which create misery, suffering.
6. The simple secret of happiness – Whatever you are doing, don’t let your past move your mind; don’t let future disturb you.
7. Be happy when alone. Let happiness be your quality. And when you move from aloneness into involvement, into communication, and relationship, carry that quality of happiness which was in loneliness – carry that.
8. Happiness is an art. It is a way of life. Ask for happiness and you will never get it. There is only one way to be happy and that is to be happy here, now. Happiness is not a result. It is a way of life.
9. “Be – don’t try to become.” Within these two words – being and becoming, your whole life is contained. Being is enlightenment, becoming is ignorance.
This is the secret of eternal happiness.