Many people seek council when they are struggling with what direction they should be taking in their lives. Some are going through a significant change while others aren’t feeling the passion for life they once did.
Because this is such a common issue that arises for many of us, I wanted to provide some general insights as a response to one woman I’ll call “Helen” who wrote the following message to me.
“I feel that I am evolving in my work with people but am not sure which road to take. I want so much to help people with their suffering – anxiety and fears. I chose the Serpent card and this rings true. There is so much knowledge and material out there and it is difficult to choose what would be the right track for me. I am 65 but am not stopped by that although I am not particularly interested in a longer study. So my question is how do I become clear as to what road to choose?”
There are several questions to ask yourself when trying to sort out your next course along your life’s track. Some are directed towards Helen’s issue, while most of them can be generally applied.
- What resonates with you?
- What types of courses are presently being offered that you could attend? Do you know anyone who has taken them so you can get a sense of the content before committing?
- What kind of outcome do you want to have for people? You want to help people with suffering, so is it your desire to help them physically, mentally, or holistically?
Do you see yourself bringing joy, or being a source of support through their suffering?
- What is your mission?
- What are you willing to expose yourself to on a regular basis? Is this the best thing for you?
- What kind of experience do I want to have while you’re speaking to these people? Will you be providing a short-term experience for others or will people be depending on you for longer service?
- What kind of sacrifice are you willing to make for this new step? How many hours are you willing to put into study? It will be a sacrifice.
- How much do you want to earn from this? Do you have a sense of the level of prosperity you would like or is this a volunteer effort?
- What particular niche interests you and how far along the spectrum do you want to venture? For instance, Angel Therapy draws people who want to work with angels. Or do you want to go a little bit more to the middle and work with Matrix Energetics?
- What is your idea of your perfect client? What are the main characteristics of the people with whom you want to work every day?
I recommend that anyone interested in taking on a new course in life and career take the time to journal and/or meditated on what that “new life” will look like? What is your vision for the actual day-to-day activities and people who will become part of your life? See it, feel it and then follow your most informed sense of what is best for you and the people you will serve.